PRO-LIFE vs. PRO-CHOICE
- Approximately 900,000 abortions are performed each year in the US
- Most common cause of deaths from abortions are unsafely performed abortions.
- Approximately 45% of all abortions are performed unsafely
- Unsafe abortion occurs when a pregnancy is terminated either by persons lacking the necessary skills/information or in an environment that does not conform to minimal medical standards, or both.
- Unsafe abortion accounts for 70,000 maternal deaths each year and causes a further 5 million women to suffer temporary or permanent disability WorldWide.
- In all cases, women should have full transparency of procedure and process.
- Health screen, including individual risk assessment based on age, race and gestational period.
- Access to post-abortion care such as counseling and services for family planning
- All without additional cost to or on behalf of the patient.
While legal and safe abortions have declined recently, unsafe abortions show no decline in numbers and rates despite their being entirely preventable. Providing information and services for modern contraception is the primary prevention strategy to eliminate unplanned pregnancy and the risk of unsafe abortions.
Michael Believes legislation needs to revisit bill SB5 regarding abortions and close the loopholes that allow clinics to risk life to child & mother for profit. Changes should include clarifying definitions such as “Extraordinary measures” and “necessary to protect” as well as reinstate the element of consent, which allows the woman to be informed of fetal development and alternatives to abortion.